4006 - Admissions and Attendance Foreign Exchange Students
Created: 17 May 2010
Modified: 23 May 2011
Amended: 10 Sept 2013
Permissive and Mandatory Enrollment of Foreign Exchange Students—
The District may enroll foreign exchange students that do not qualify for state monies and pay for the costs of those students with other funds available to the District.
The District shall enroll a foreign exchange student if the foreign exchange student:
1. Is sponsored by an agency approved by the State Board of Education;
2. Attends the same school during the same time period that another student from the school is:
a. sponsored by the same agency; and
b. enrolled in a school in a foreign country; and
3. Is enrolled in the school for one year or less.
If the District enrolls a foreign exchange student, the District shall require the approved exchange student agency that sponsors the foreign exchange student to provide a sworn affidavit of compliance prior to the beginning of the school year. The affidavit shall include the following assurances:
1. that the agency has complied with all applicable policies of the board;
2. that a household study, including a background check of all adult residents, has been made of each household where an exchange student is to reside, and that the study was of sufficient scope to provide reasonable assurance that the exchange student will receive proper care and supervision in a safe environment;
3. that host parents have received training appropriate to their positions, including information about enhanced criminal penalties under Subsection 76-5-406(10) for persons who are in a position of special trust;
4. that a representative of the exchange student agency make contact to each student's place of residence at least once each month during the student's stay in Utah;
5. that the agency will cooperate with school and other public authorities to ensure that no exchange student becomes an unreasonable burden upon the public schools or other public agencies;
6. that each exchange student will be given in the exchange student's native language names and telephone numbers of agency representatives and others who could be called at any time if a serious problem occurs; and
7. that alternate placements are readily available so that no student is required to remain in a household if conditions appear to exist which unreasonably endanger the student's welfare.
8. The District shall provide the approved exchange student agency sponsoring a foreign exchange student with a list of names and telephone numbers of individuals not associated with the agency who could be called by an exchange student in the event of a serious problem. The agency shall make a copy of the list available to each of its exchange students in the exchange student's native language.
Utah Code Ann. § 53A-2-206 (2011)