1146 - School Secretary
#1146 - School Secretary
Under the direction of the principal, performs a variety of clerical and support work involving both specific routines and broadly defined policies and procedures; greets and interacts with the public, works cooperatively with staff, students, and parents, and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Any combination of training, education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Previous experience in a public school setting or institution of higher education.
- Experience working with students and parents.
- Secretarial or clerical experience
- Skills with spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation applications
Knowledge & Ability
General Knowledge & Abilities:
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain clerical records and prepare simple reports.
- Ability to learn and interpret rules, regulations, laws and instructions.
- Knowledge of and ability to use English correctly and appropriately.
- Ability to perform required clerical work accurately and within established timelines.
- Ability to operate a variety of office machines.
- Ability to utilize word processing, database and spreadsheet programs on the computer.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in the interrelation and application of standard practices and procedures.
Essential Functions: This position may change or evolve in the future, but is not limited to the following:
- Meet and interact with public and employees in routine situations which require tact, discretion and courtesy.
- Give information and interpretations of policies or procedures related to department or school activities.
- Establish, maintain and monitor accurate, neat and efficient electronic and manual filing systems.
- Sort and classify incoming mail and other information for efficient disbursement to appropriate recipients.
- Prepare letters, memoranda, reports, bulletins, handbooks, questionnaires, requisitions and other materials from marginal notes, rough drafts, or verbal instructions.
- Compile information from various sources on a variety of standardized forms.
- Assist in the orientation and training of the employees or volunteers.
- Prepare accurate minutes of meetings when necessary.
- Ability to handle confidential information with complete security.
- Gather and prepare appropriate attendance/accounting information.
- Assist with tracking and conducting emergency drills.
- Enroll and unenroll students. Request records from prior schools, distribute school records.
- Maintain classroom records as needed.
- Conform to district policy regarding attendance and absences. Employee attendance must be adequate to perform the above listed essential job functions.
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements: Not limited to the following:
- Physical ability to perform the above listed essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical, mental and emotional requirements will be developed when needed for purposes of reasonable accommodation.