1141 - School / Special Function Bus Driver
Under the direction of the Transportation Supervisor, operates a school bus to designated locations to transport students, including those who are mentally or physically disabled, in wheel chairs, or otherwise require special help; transports pre-school children to state pre-school classes; transports students to community school classes; assists in general maintenance/servicing of the school bus and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Hold and maintain a Utah commercial driver's license, first aid certificate, and within first year, complete 18-hour basic course.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Previous experience in a public school setting or public transportation setting.
- Previous experience with persons with special needs.
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITY
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to learn special needs of particular individuals.
- Ability to maintain discipline among students.
- Knowledge of safe driving practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of first aid procedures.
- Knowledge of provisions of the state codes applicable to the operation of school buses and the transporting of students.
- Ability to learn emergency procedures for working with mentally and physically handicapped children, pre-school students and community school students.
- Ability to learn to operate a radio.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS This position may change or evolve in the future, but is not limited to the following:
- Drive a school bus daily to designated locations in accordance with time schedules.
- Pick up and discharge students; assist children in getting on/off the bus.Lift and position children on bus and into seats before fastening/checking seat belts.
- Lock wheelchairs into place on the bus.
- If appropriate, wait for parents to receive children upon delivery at home.
- Adjust pick-up procedure to school starting times.
- Maintain departure and arrival times as scheduled.
- Follow established procedures for emergencies.
- School Bus Driver 1141
- Maintain discipline on bus.
- Service bus with gas/oil, check tires/battery, and clean interior and wash bus.
- Prepare monthly log and other reports as required.
- Transport students and instructors on special trips/activities as required.
- Conform to District policy regarding attendance and absences. Attendance must be adequate to perform the above listed essential job functions.
- Other duties as assigned
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Not limited to the following:
- Physical ability to perform the above listed essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical, mental and emotional requirements-will be developed when needed for purposes of reasonable accommodation.
NOTE: This list of essential and marginal functions and of physical requirements is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary in accordance with the requirements of the job.