1114 - Board Meeting Procedure
#1114 - Board Meeting Procedures
Adopted September 10, 2002
Revised September 13, 2022
The regular meeting of the board shall be held each month. The regular meeting date, place or time may be changed by a majority vote at any regular meeting. Special meetings of the board may be called by the president, superintendent, or three members at any time. Notice of such special meetings shall be given in sufficient time to enable all members to attend. Only items of business mentioned in the call can be acted upon at special meetings.
Public notice shall be given of all meetings by:
- posting the date, time, place, and agenda of the meeting at the district office
- notice of emergency meetings will be given in the most practical way possible
- for the annual budget meeting, written notice, stating the purpose of the meeting is the adoption of the District's budget for the succeeding fiscal year, shall be given ten days prior to the meeting.
Upon a majority vote of the members present, any meeting may be adjourned, recessed, or postponed to such time or place as the majority present deems expedient. The board shall use Robert's modified Rules of Order, as a guide. The chairman may discuss and vote on all matters before the board. The "yeas" and "nays" may be called on any question or motion; and if any member requests, the vote shall be entered in the minutes.
Written minutes shall be kept of all board meetings. Such minutes shall include:
- Date, time, and place of meeting;
- The names of the members present and absent;
- The substances of all matters proposed, discussed, or decided, and a record, by individual member, of votes taken,
- The names of all citizens who appeared and a brief summary of their testimony.
- Any other information that any member requests be entered in the minutes.
A closed meeting may be held if:
- It proceeds from an open meeting for which notice has been given. Voting to hold a closed meeting should immediately precede the holding of such meeting.
- affirmative votes of two-thirds of the members present at the open meeting are recorded.
- reason or reasons for holding a closed meeting and the vote by individual member for or against the proposition to hold such a meeting are entered.
- reason or reasons for holding the closed meeting fit one or more of the following purposes:
- Discussion of the character, professional competence, or physical or mental health of an individual
- Strategy session with respect to collective bargaining, litigation, or purchase of real property
- Discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices.
- Investigate proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct
The board may go into executive session upon the request of any member. No official action shall be transacted in executive sessions. Written minutes shall be kept for all closed meetings. Such minutes are closed unless opened by a presiding judge for a court case.
Citizens are encouraged to attend and observe meetings of the board. To ensure board meetings with public participation are conducted in an organized and effective manner, the board adopts the following guidelines for public participation:
- Patrons that wish to address the school board should notify the Superintendent prior to the meeting.
- Comments including personnel issues, employment concerns, project bids, or personal attacks against individuals will not be permitted. See District Policy #2094 to submit formal complaints.
- As the school board cannot act on discussions that are not on the agenda, any comments about things not on the agenda will not be discussed by the board, but will be considered for future board meeting agendas.
- Patron’s comments should be respectful and given with respect to the dignity and privacy of others who may be affected by their comments.
- Comments may be limited in time and number by the Board President. It is recommended that comments be limited to three minutes.
- Individuals who engage in inappropriate or disruptive conduct may be removed from the meeting.